The group is suitable for adults over 18 years who have sustained an Acquired Brain Injury and would like to return to employment, volunteering, education or training. Individuals can attend the group for up to a year.
The HABIT programme helps participants identify their strengths and weaknesses and encourages them to set three goals. They:
- Learn how the brain works and recovers after a brain injury
- Learn about the various effects of brain injury
- Work on skills such as writing, memory, concentration, problem solving, planning and processing
- Spend time with others who have had similar experiences
- Learn strategies to help individuals in their day to day
As a result of being involved in the HABIT programme we see people returning to work, starting new volunteering roles, developing new hobbies and interests and making future plans.
In addition to the group sessions, periodic home visits are carried out by the Occupational Therapists to help clients work on specific goals in the context of their own home and community.
Find out more (including how to get a referral) by contacting Headway Hertfordshire on 0300 330 1455.